Thursday, October 21, 2004

I joined a Guild!


I'm hoping to get some knitting done on my Klaralund sleeve tonight. Even if it's just my 15 minutes, I'll be happy to get that.

I've made a little progress. I'm finally convinced that every little bit really does help.



In other yarn related and nonrelated news:
Yesterday was quite a day. We have one person out of the office, so it makes for a more hectic day.

To top it off, my son had a doctor's appointment.

Then, I found out that the Guild meeting I thought was on Thursdays was actually on Wednedsays.

After being in the doctor's office for two hours, YES TWO HOURS, I made the 30-some mile drive to the Guild Meeting.

When I walked into the meeting, I was nervous, curious, and excited.

There was a very long table with someone sitting in almost every chair. Had I not been distracted by all the faces, books, magazines, and such, I probably would have counted how many people were in attendance. I was, however, quite distracted from any such concept, but I believe there were about 20 people.

What a fun and friendly group! I sat down beside M who offered me a seat on either side of her. I took the chair to her right, directly in front of G and N. G and N were so sweet. The guild was having a sale of their library items, which I suppose, were not being checked-out very often. Magazines were twenty-five cents. Who can resist a twenty-five cent magazine? Not me!

I came home with twelve. One of them was the issue of Knitter's dedicated to Elizabeth Zimmerman!

The oldest magazine I purchased was a Cast-On from 1992. It included a beautiful pattern called Wedding Belles. For $.25, I just couldn't resist!


I also picked up Meg Swanson's tape (Knitting Vacations) for the Saddle Sleeve Sweater.


Everyone introduced themselves. During the "Show and Tell" period everyone showed WIP's or FO's. There was lots of variety. I showed my Klaralund sleeve beginning and felt just slightly silly since it was quite small.

The theme for this meeting was "Sit and Knit," so after introductions, New and Old Business, and the book, magazine tape sale, there was lots of knitting, chatting, and munching on goodies.

One member even brought in her crocheted blanket. It was lovely and there was none of that Knitter/Crocheter negativity that you sometimes see.

I was too nervous about dropping something somewhere so I passed on refreshments this time. I can just see me dumping punch, cake, or something else onto beautiful yarn, or my lap. That would not have made a good first impression.

While sitting and knitting, I did something weird. As I was trying to figure out what I had done and M came right to my rescue! I had planned to just tink back and reknit but I was curious as to what I had done wrong. I wanted to know so that I could avoid making the same error. M figured it out and had it undone in no time. I love friendly and helpful people!

One of the members, a new member, remembered seeing me in Knitting Sisters. She said that she had only been in there one time and remember talking with me there. She's only been knitting for two months but has made some very pretty things! She's self-taught, like me. It was so cool that she remembered me and even more impressive is that she took the time to come to me to talk and share with me that she remembered!

They have a newsletter and they conduct all sorts of workshops. The next meeting has a "Shawl" theme. I'm really excited about that.

I had a blast. I got a few rows of my sleeve done. I picked up some great patterns in my new magazine stash.

I'm an official member. Can't wait until the next meeting!

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

That is so great that you have a guild to go to! I wish I was able to go to one, but hubby works evenings and there is no one I'll leave my daughter with.

I love the colour you're making Klaralund with. It's going to be beautiful when it's done.

October 22, 2004 at 12:32 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

That's cool that you found some folks to knit with..and boy did you rack up on the mags!

Can't wait to see your finished Klaralund :o)

October 22, 2004 at 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home