Thursday, October 07, 2004

Inventory

A relative on my husband's side had a baby today. We thought she was due much later in the year or either the beginning of 2005. Obviously, we were wrong. Guess we should have verified.
It was my intention to make some items for the baby. I still may make a few things but I had really wanted the mother to have them BEFORE the baby was born.

In any event, I checked my inventory to make sure I had the right yarn for making baby items. It had occurred to me previously that there may not be enough of the yarn I wanted to use to make the baby blanket for charity. There is possibly enough in another yarn but it's a yarn I don't like using.

Unfortunately, there is definitely not enough to make both the blanket for charity and a gift for the new baby in our family. I'll be bargain hunting for soft washable yarn.

While checking out my inventory, I did notice a few books I had forgotten I had. I really need to update my spreadsheet that lists what books, supplies, and patterns I own. I also came across some yarn I purchased to make a shell. It's purpley goodness made me pick it up just to feel how soft it was.

I also noticed the yarn for my DNA scarf. It looked back at me as I looked at it. It begged me to cast-on already. I made a mental note that as soon as I get my other things in order, I will cast-on for the scarf.

I noticed a couple of patterns that I'm sorry I purchased. One pattern was just so simple I could have just figured it out and made the item myself. I guess I purchased it before I actually believed I could really figure out a pattern on my own. Don't get me wrong. I'm no designer. I've just realized that truly you basically need math, a little experience, a good grasp of gauge, and the ability to form the stitches in order to make whatever you want. Currently, I lack the experience for anything intricate but the item in question was a simple shawl.

Once I have a little more knitting under my belt, I'm going to jump in to the math game and use Elizabeth Zimmermann's formula to make a sweater.

I'm not ready yet...but some day I will be.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amie said...

Oh, I bet you are ready for an EZ sweater, Kimberly. In fact, think about trying one for the new baby. It was the first sweater I made, and I think when you do (particularly a small one that doesn't seem like as much of a committment) you'll see how easy and adaptable it is. If you get her book Knitting Without Tears, she explains the small differences in baby sweaters and adult sweaters (babies have larger heads) and is quite clear on her formula. Find some nice soft aran/worsted weight yarn (not because it matters for the pattern, just because it'll make the sweater speed by in a few days) and go for it! I'm sure you can do it!

October 8, 2004 at 2:48 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I just got that book(knitting without tears) from my secret pal...I can't wait to try it out!!

October 10, 2004 at 1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Amie and Kim!

I've got the Knitting Without Tears book but have not read it yet. I also have Knitting Around and Knitter's Almanac. I've only flipped thru them and red select sections. Hopefully I'll eventually find the time to read them from cover-to-cover. Maybe I'll pull out KWT tonight.

I sometimes listen to the Knitting Around tapes before I go to bed. I think some of it has sunk in. Most of what I have watched involves the hat and the beginning of the sweater. She may have talked about baby sweaters in the videos but I'm not sure.

I've been watching the videos over and over. I'm not advancing to Tape 3 until I fully understand Tape 2. By the end of the 4 videos, I think I should be doing well.

Thanks for the advice.

October 10, 2004 at 7:04 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

OOOPS!

I meant to say I listen to Knitting Workshop. I don't have the Knitting Around Videos, only the Knitting Around book.

Also, for some reason my last comment came up as Anonymous but it was me.

October 10, 2004 at 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home