Thursday, January 06, 2005

Contemplating Crafts

I've been knitting, as in more than practicing stitches, for a about a year now. It has been wonderful. I've also restarted crocheting. As much as I've enjoyed these crafts, I need to consider a few things.

I've started more projects than I've finished. I signed up for Knit-Alongs and then was too bogged down with other issues to participate.

After looking at my starts, stalls, and such, I've realized I honestly don't have as much time to knit or crochet as I would like. I'm not a fast enough knitter or crocheter to whip out projects quickly enough to avoid frustration. In an attempt to avoid getting discouraged, I'm going to try to just concentrate on just enjoying the process. I'm no longer giving myself deadlines, except for hats. If I join a Knit/Crochet-Along, it will be one with a generous finishing date.

I've also realized that having a live person, in your presence, who appreciates knitting, really helps. Therefore, I'm going to try really hard to make it to my next Guild meeting and try to get to at least one other knitting meeting held locally. I'm also considering taking a class to boost my confidence, improve techniques, and to mingle with other knitters and crocheters.

I think I'll make a list of different things I want to learn so that I can get more satisfaction from the crafts I love so much. Then I'll make a realistic list of projects I want to make/finish this year.

Considering it's been an eventful year, I'm self-taught, and I had a very choppy beginning, my 2004 stats aren't really that bad.

2004 In Review

Finished Objects
3 pink hats for charity
1 blue hat for charity
1 hat for my son
1 scarf for my son
1 blanket for my son
1 rug
1 hat (will match my Klaralund sweater if I ever knit it)
4 squares for heathful throws


Started, still planning to finish
1 Fair Isle sweater for my son
1 Klaralund sweater for me
1 Pair of Seed Stitch Shoes
1 ABC Afghan

Finished except for seaming
1 pair of baby booties
1 short-rows hat

Finished but ripped seams at least twice
1 umbilical cord hat

Started and will most likely be frogged
1 tie (Who wears knitted ties?)

Knit-Alongs which I abandoned or did not finish before the deadline
Purse Slippers (still planning to knit but got concerned about slippery bottoms)
DNA Scarf (still plan to knit it, even have the supplies, just couldn't get started)
Klaralund (one sleeve started, still planning to knit it, keep getting distracted)

Knit-Alongs I completed
Men In Hats
Rug-Along

For now, it's nap time. Gotta concentrate on getting better.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think you did very well this past year! I do agree that it is nice to have a real person to talk about knitting with, so I am converting friends - several of them told me they have been wanting to learn so there I go, I teach them.

January 6, 2005 at 5:45 PM  
Blogger General Ginger said...

Sounds like you've come to lots of knitting realizations and remembered why we started knitting in the first place: because its fun! Enjoy yourself and to heck with the deadlines.

January 7, 2005 at 11:29 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

I'd say you had a great year of knitting and crocheting! Lots of FO's! Congrats! Keep up the good work... we all get stalled every now and then. Can't wait to see your next projects!

January 9, 2005 at 12:51 PM  
Blogger caramelknits said...

Your FO list for 2004 looks great to me. I'm sure your 2005 list will be even better as you take classes. Plus I notice that I do knit faster when I'm really enjoying the article that I'm knitting. Might this be a resolution in disguise? :)

Happy 2005!

January 9, 2005 at 1:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just wanted to drop in with a quick "Hi" as I read your blog regularly. My blog is only a baby, but if you are so inclined - please check it out, sometime. http://jenknitter.blogspot.com/

January 14, 2005 at 4:08 PM  
Blogger sara said...

Wow! You had plenty of FO's for 2004. Don't worry about what you finish or don't finish. Sometimes it's not about the product but the process. For me, knitting is a very yogic activity. If I happen to end up with an object, good. If not, it's still worth my time to just sit and feel the yarn and needles.

January 14, 2005 at 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home