Wednesday, February 09, 2005

The first sock

I've pulled the yarn, the needles, the pattern, and the stitch markers. The socks/footies are just waiting to be knit.

I was planning to take them to my Knitting Meeting but ended up working on my family reunion responsibilities instead.

My first pair of socks will be white. I'm going to knit them in Cascade Fixation. I'm going to attempt the Florida Socks by Lynn H.

I figured without the cuff, they'd go pretty fast. Also, they'll use less yarn, which I think is a good thing for this first attempt. Seems like the soxk basics will all be there, as a cuff would be pretty much just knitting a tube, which, depending on the pattern, may have a design/cable/colorwork chart.

I'm guessing I should be okay. Nothing about it sounds terribly complicated. Of course, I haven't cast-on yet.

If all goes well with this sock, I'll try the Broadripple Sock by Rob Matyska. I've been wanting to make this sock for quite a while but had talked myself out of knitting socks. After I knit my first hat, I thought that hats would always be my travel project of choice. Now, I'm liking the idea of socks more and more.

I'm still itching for the lace knitting. I promised the ladies at work I would take the alpaca yarn to the office, along with the chosen pattern so they could see what I plan to make next.

I'm being fruitful. Really, I am. The fruit just hasn't been of the knitted or crocheted kind.

I am, however, casting on for the socks tonight. Hubby is even encouraging it...probably because of the stressed look on my face.

I'll post a picture soon...if the attempt is not too horrendous.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Good sock choices! I'm looking forward to your progress with the Florida socks, as I just saw that pattern the other day and put it on my to-do list. I'm sure you'll do just fine and bet you'll get addicted to knitting socks! [g]

February 10, 2005 at 9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I have knitted both of those socks and can recommend them highly. The Broadripple was actually my first sock. Lynn H (designer of the Florida Footies) is really nice. Don't hesitate to email her if you have any questions. With the Broadripple sock, there is a yahoo group you might want to join. Although the official knitalong ended in June 2004, there are many helpful tips there, etc.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/broadripple_knitalong/?yguid=208213743

Good luck!
~Bliss~
http://goddess1.typepad.com/i_hide_yarn/

February 10, 2005 at 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home