Saturday, February 12, 2005

The Sock Saga

I started the sock as planned. I knit the mini cuff and then went to bed. I even tried it on to make sure it would fit my ankle. I was pleased that it had a nice fit.

Since I thought I'd get in a little knitting time at lunch, I loaded the project and all the notions into the car. I made the mistake, while in a hurry, of putting the sock into my purse so I would not have to take another bag into the office. Upon unzipping my purse, I yanked one needle completely out of the sock and dropped more stitches than I cared to pick-up.

I restarted the sock last night. My son needed something, so I gingerly put the project down, hoping not to upset any of the needles.

When I resumed the project, I noticed a knot in the yarn, created by me, so I frogged again.

For the third time, I cast-on for the sock, late at night. I should have known it was too late and I was too tired because I actually had trouble casting-on! I did manage to cast-on the required stitches, then proceeded to knit a few rows. When I could barely keep my eyes open, I noticed a strange area at the beginning of my cast-on that looked like hole. I probably could have fixed this with the weaving in of the ends but I didn't want to chance it.

I will attempt to start this scok again tonight. Hopefully, I'll get to do it before I'm too tired to do it properly.

I'd like to thank Michelle and Bliss for the encouragement. I really think I'm going to like sock knitting.

7 Comments:

Blogger sara said...

I'm rootin' for ya' Kimberly! You will love socks! I've completed one pair, started two others and made a pair of tube socks (my personal favorite) for my sis.

February 12, 2005 at 7:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hang in there! I am having so much trouble with my socks as well - I think I swatched and casted them six times :-(

February 13, 2005 at 12:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hang in there! I am having so much trouble with my socks as well - I think I swatched and casted them six times :-(

February 13, 2005 at 12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there, it will be so worth it. Once you feel how comfortable handknit socks are, you won't want to wear store bought socks anymore. You might want to consider a large ziplock freezer bag to pack your sock-in-progress when on the go. I have a very small tote bag that is about 6x8" made out of fabric that tucks nicely into a purse, or carries alone.

February 13, 2005 at 9:00 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Congrats for taking the jump into socks! The pattern looks cute! I have confidence you can do it! DO post a pic so we can see your progress! Can't wait!

February 13, 2005 at 12:11 PM  
Blogger Laura.Y said...

Hi Kimberly, I know how you feel. Takes a while to get the hang sometimes. Hang in there yea. I'd like to see how ur socks go. :) Happy Valentines.

February 14, 2005 at 10:13 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

You'll get the hang of it. It gets easier once you knit about an inch or so.

February 15, 2005 at 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home