Sunday, May 29, 2005

A Little Knitting

Yesterday, my uncle had a gathering at his home. For the holidays, this is true to form for him. I always have a good time.

Though I felt like crap, this time was no different. I got to see people I hadn't seen in months and others I had not seen in years. Unfortunately, my aunt's mother died a few days ago, so I did not have a chance to see her or to tell her what a wonderful person I thought she was. She was surrounded by loving people so I'm sure my absense in earlier months was insignificant. However, I just really thought highly of her. They decided to have the gathering, even though it was close after my aunt's mother's death because they felt it would be good to have family and friends near and it would help keep them busy. I'm glad they did.

Oh yeah, I said there was a little knitting, didn't I?

Well, we were talking, several of the ladies and I, and one mentioned finding a receiving blanket. Another lady mentioned that she had crocheted a blanket for her son and I said that I had made one for my son as well, only knitted rather than crocheted. My aunt informed me that my cousin wants to learn to knit and crochet and a few of the other ladies said that they did as well.

Since I had a skein of yarn in my purse, (Doesn't everyone?) I did a small demonstration and showed one of the ladies how to cast-on and how, bind-off, and the knit stitch. She learned quickly, but then again, she already crochets. She was afraid to learn to purl because she thought she might get confused so I told her I'd be happy to show her how to do purl at a later date.

We're talking about trying to get together to have a craft night at some point.

I'm also checking for lessons for my cousin, even though I'll probably try to show her.

The yarn that was in my purse was for me to do a little knitting to calm my nerves. I was planning to make a hat for my son for the winter. I figured it would be portable, pretty quick, and easy, which is what I need right now.

Instead, I just cast-on, knit, bound-off, and frogged in order to show how to make the stitches.

The hat will made but it was nice just to show someone else how to make the stitches.

4 Comments:

Blogger Laura.Y said...

It's always nice to be able to share the joy of craft to others..:) I wish it was easy over here too. Here at the tropics, ppl think u r crazy if u say u knit cause they think up of wooly sweaters and winter wear.

May 29, 2005 at 9:14 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Sounds like a banner day! Showing someone to appreciate the knit stitch! Hope you had a nice trip too. The vacation pics came out great!

June 4, 2005 at 6:59 AM  
Blogger LadyV said...

Just found your blog. Very nice and great vacation pics! I never shy away from an opportunity to teach someone how to knit (or spin):-)

June 13, 2005 at 7:06 PM  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

What you shared with those women was just the sort of thing I love to do or be a recipient of. It can turn a drab day into sunshine. How super nice =)

June 15, 2005 at 11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home