Saturday, July 02, 2005

Giving, Sharing, Reaching Out

If you hate posts that are sappy or sentimental, you may want to skip this one.

Today I learned a hard lesson, actually, the lesson started yesterday.

I found out that a lovely person, with whom I used to work, died. She was smart, she was kind, she was friendly, and she was almost always smiling.

Now, she is gone. She was only 33. She had a heart attack. Hearing her husband speak of his loss was heart-breaking.

I left the funeral today feeling very shaken. I connected with a few people with whom I had lost touch. I'm planning to connect with a few others. It was a wake-up call for me. None of us knows how long we'll be on this earth. It is truly important to share moments with people you love. It's important to be kind and to share with people while you can. I haven't been communicating with my friends the way I used to, so I've made the decision to reach out to them because I know if I lose someone else I cherish, I'll regret the time "I should have spent" with that person. I'll regret the words I should have said.

I've had a lot of loss lately, more than I've shared here. It has taken a toll.

Now, for some reason, all I want to knit is baby blankets, nothing else. I don't even want to knit shawls, hats, or baby booties. I just want to make something that's rhythmic, simple, and comforting.

...some Breyers® Oreo® Cookies and Cream would be good too.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so sorry. I've had that experience all too often, and hearing the husband, or the parents, after a person dies young, is always so hard. I think part of your reason for wanting to knit the baby blanket, besides it being rythmic, is it's kind of hopeful...new life, after loss. It's a needed transition.

July 4, 2005 at 11:18 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm sorry about all the loss you've been experiencing lately. There was a period of time when I lost several good friends. It makes for a very melancholy time. Start on the baby blankets and think of new life. Hugs.

July 7, 2005 at 12:36 AM  
Blogger Karla said...

I'm sorry about the loss of your young friend. Yes, 33 is so young. I lost a cousin in March last year to a heart attack and she was also 33. It's just so sudden. Like you said, none of us know how many more moments we will have here on this earth. So live and love and laugh as if it was your last. But most importantly, LOVE! Everyone! Be kind! Be loving. Leave no one hurting because you crossed their path. But leave everyone who crosses your path with smiles. Thank you for the post. I love sentimental and sappy posts. They usually hold some forgotten truth in them to help us remember what is important.

July 10, 2005 at 3:47 PM  
Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

It's shocking enough, but when it's so sudden... I know how it feels as one of our staff members died unexpectedly two years ago. We still miss her.

You never know what's going to happen. I find it a hard part of life.
Li

July 12, 2005 at 5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home