Saturday, November 12, 2005

Moving Right Along with the Blanket

The Blanket

The blanket is coming along well. Right now, it's about 31 inches long and about 42 inches wide. It's definitely more than half done which makes me feel really good.

The more I look at the pattern, the more I think about making something else with the basket-weave pattern in it. A kid's sweater or man's sweater in this pattern might be nice.

I had planned to make a trip to Knitting Sisters today to pick up a few things but was just too tired. I decided to take a quick nap and woke up hours later. Maybe I'll get there this coming week.

Lately, I've been taking the blanket everywhere in case the opportunity to knit arises. Recently, I was knitting during my lunch break and one of the ladies at the restaurant commented on the blanket. She has a four-month old daughter and would like to learn to knit so she can make things for the baby. I told her I'd try to help her and invited her to come to our knitting meetings on Wednesday nights. Hopefully, she'll be able to make it to a meeting so she has several people with varied experience to help her.


The Cabled Sweater

I have picked out a pattern for my son. It's the Aran Fishing Shirt from Classic Knits for Kids, by Debbie Bliss. Since I've heard her patterns are frequently published with errors, I visited the errata section of her website. I was pleased that the sweater was not on the list. Yarn will be evaluated soon so that I can make a good choice.


Holidays

I'm looking forward to the holidays this year. Frequently, this is a stressful time for me but I have decided that this year will be different. This year, I'm just going to take everything slowly and say "no" when needed. Since I'm still feeling like crap, I'm thinking I'll be saying "no" a lot more.

Wishing you all a happy holiday season!

6 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

Your basketweave blanket looks amazing! Great job! The pattern you picked for the cable sweater for your son sounds very interesting. I am planning to make a cable sweater for my sister's new baby from a knitty.com pattern. Have the yarn, but haven't started yet. So many things to make and just lacking on time! Have a wonderful weekend!

November 13, 2005 at 1:08 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

You've made a lot of progess on your son's blanket and it looks fantastic!

November 25, 2005 at 12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blanket looks great! Happy Thanksgiving!

November 25, 2005 at 11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it, Kimberly!

Patti
http://redvelvetcake.typepad.com

November 26, 2005 at 6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kimberly,
I absolutely LOVE the basketweave blanket for your son. This is just the blanket I would like to make for my family. One LYS said to use cotton only but the other store said wool only. I need to be able to wash it (as I'm sure yours is for your son) and want it warm to cuddle up in. I tried using the Plymouth Encore but decided it was too light feeling after 3 skeins. I thought about trying Second Hand Cotton in Irish Linen-a cotton blend.
I'm sure I can find the basketweave pattern somewhere in a book at home but wanted to ask you what type of yarn you used and how many stitches you casted on. I am relatively new to knitting but want so badly to make this blanket. It is beautiful and I'm sure your son will love it.
cheryli@valornet.com

November 29, 2005 at 11:35 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Your blanket is coming along beautifully :o)

November 29, 2005 at 1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home