Thursday, December 01, 2005

It's not 33

Today is World AIDS Day. Know your risks.

I think of those I have lost to AIDS and those I know who have suffered because of it. I honor their fight and hope we soon find a cure.

In knitting news, the Stork yarn I bought is definitely not color 33. It's color 30. I'm hoping to get back to Knitting Sisters this weekend to pick up the brown, if they have it in stock. If not, I'm going to have to order it.

Sine I'm knitting the Pismo hat for my husband, I may let him decide. If he follows his normal pattern, he'll opt for the brown. Fortunately, I have sock yarn to keep me busy if I'm unable to acquire the brown yarn in a timely manner.

The Sockotta yarn is 40% wool. I'm hoping it will not bother my hands. I knit a little bit with Zephyr, which is 50% wool, and I seemed to be okay. I'm still deciding upon a pattern but I'm anxious to get started. My husband will likely be the recipient of the first pair. My feet are very sensitive some I'm a little apprehensive about using any wool at all on socks for me. Since I'm quite drawn to this yarn, I may chance knitting a pair for myself using it. If I break out from the yarn, I can always give the socks to my mom.

I saw a few colorways of the Sockotta that I really liked. I'm going to check Wise Needle, then Google to see what others have to say about their experience with this yarn. My hope is that knits up nicely, wears well, and doesn't get crappy looking from being washed. I'm willing to wash hand-knit socks by hand if necessary.

I'm also still holding out hope for mastering knitting with Cascade Fixation. My tendency was to stretch it to tightly. Of course it would pull itself back into the unstretched state. This created a tiny item that was not wearable. I may need to just knit a few more flat swatch-type pieces with it just to get the hang of holding the yarn in way that is comfortable but still produces a nice fabric.


I haven't stopped knitting the blanket yet. Last night at the knitting meeting they joked about how I kept changing my mind about the length. They asked how tall my son was. When I told them, they laughed again because, for a child measuring under four feet tall, the blanket is more than long enough.

When I explained that I wanted the blanket to be something he could use for a long time, they all agreed that making it longer was a good idea. I didn't need anyone's approval but it never hurts to have someone tell you that you are right.

Meanwhile, I'm knitting until I decide it's done.

2 Comments:

Blogger caramelknits said...

Keep going till it's done or it will bother you later. Your son will so appreciate the special blankie his mommy made.

Oh, and as far as knives in the classroom go, I like to keep them spread around the room, so they're always within arm's reach. :P

December 2, 2005 at 8:09 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

The blanket is working up nicely! Love your stash enhancement too! I bought some Sockotta yarn not too long ago that looks like the yarn you have. It looks so pretty, but still I have not knit with it as of yet! I am hoping to make a few socks for me over my Christmas and Winter breaks!

December 3, 2005 at 8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home