Thursday, October 12, 2006

Socktoberfest Questionnaire

Socktoberfest 2006 Questionnaire

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

1. When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?

I believe my first ATTEMPT at sock knitting occured in February of 2005. No one really taught me. I read the instructions on a few patterns and was familiar with the terms and techniques. Because of that, I decided to just jump in and try.

2. What was your first pair? How have they held up over time?

Again, my first ATTEMPT was the Florida Sock by Lynn H. They were never finished. I kept dropping stitches, dropping needles, and I could not get used to the Fixation yarn I was using. I kept pulling it to tightly. Then I'd rip and try not to pull as tightly but still ended up with something awful. (Fixation yarn is very stretchy.)

3. What would you have done differently?

I would have started with a different yarn. I really like Fixation but I need to practice with it so that I hold the yarn without stretching it. I also would have tried another method besides DPN's, which I love, because I seemed to keep dropping stitches.

4. What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?

I have only tried Fixation and Sockotta. So far, I'm feeling better about the Sockotta which I'm using for the current sock.

5. Do you like to crochet you socks? or knit them on dpn's? 2 circulars? or using the Magic Loop method?

Since I like DPN's, I thought I would prefer to use them for socks. For some reason, I just can't seem to manage the DPN's when knitting a sock, though I use them for hats and dishcloths. I'm not a big fan of the Magic Loop, but after a recent failed sock attempt on DPN's, I'm planning to try it for my current sock. I'm hoping to pick up the shorter circular needles to try at some point.

6. What kind of heel do you prefer? (flap or short-row?)

The jury is still out on this for me, since I've never completed a sock. I have knit short-row heels but never the flap heels. I seem to have a problem AFTER the heel.

7. How many pairs have you made?

I have started socks about six times...maybe more. I have never finished a pair. I have to believe that this will be that time.

Wish me luck! It's looking like I'm really going to need it!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

You can do it!! I've started a sock with fixation about 4 times now. Guess you could say I'm not a fan...LOL! I really like Dale Baby Ull and Claudia's Handpaints :o)

October 13, 2006 at 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home