Sunday, October 01, 2006

Traveling, The Frog Pond, and Other Pond-ering

Journey to a Richmond Store

A few days ago I traveled to Richmond. We had several meetings but I was able to run out for about an hour. I was excited to find that I had about five yarn stores available to me. Unfortunately, time was only permitting me to visit one of them. I chose The Yarn Lounge.

It was wonderful. I was greeted immediately when I entered the store. I was offered a basket to carry around my items as I shopped. The store was neat, well-stocked, and items were clearly labeled. There was a table at the front where two very pleasant persons were knitting. At the back of the store there was a very inviting sitting area with chairs that called out to me to sit down, relax and knit.

With little time to spare, I picked up a couple of balls of yarn for a hat for my husband, an older Rowan magazine, a pattern book, and since I've never tried Addi Natura, I purchased one so that I could see if I would have a preference.

Hopefully, I'll get back to the store again when I have more time. It was such a great place. Of course, my heart still belongs to Knitting Sisters.



Tales from the Lily Pad

Since I hate the idea of the UFO's hanging over my head, especially when I'm unhappy with the current state of the items, several pieces, including the Wonderful Wallaby have been sent to the Frog Pond. I will restart the Wallaby again but it probably won't be before January 1. When I start it again, I'll be knitting the larger size. The Fair Isle sweater will also be frogged. I have no idea when I will resume this sweater. I, however, see no reason to just linger, ponder, and fret over these items any longer.


Out with the old - In with the new

Now that the frogging is almost done, I can begin other things. Both items that I plan to start are right in time with a couple of KAL's. I have decided to enter Socktoberfest and the Fall Cable KAL's if approved.

For Socktoberfest, I going to finally use the Plymouth Sockotta that has been frogged more than I'd like to admit. For the Fall Cable KAL, I'm finally going to knit the blanket that my husband has been requesting for while. Both projects are to be knit in yarns in the blue family.


Dishcloths

Now some of you don't consider discloths real knitting but when I'm forming those stitches, it feels like knitting to me. It has been so convenient to carry the cloths around in my purse for whenever I need a quick knitting fix. I have four cloths finished and one that's quite close to completion.

For three of the cloths, I just picked a simple stitch pattern that I liked. I cast on a random number of stitches and just knit until I felt like the cloth was big enough, the yarn was running out, or until I was ready to knit a different stitch pattern. One, as mentioned in a prior post, is the basket weave. One is seed/moss stitch. The third is double seed stitch.

The fourth completed cloth is the apple pattern, which I will make again.

The fifth cloth, which is just waiting for a few rows is the double flower cloth. While it is entirely portable, whenever I take it with me I seem to drop a needle from the waiting project. I have been too lazy to replace the dpn's with a circular. Hopefully, I'll get to switching the needles soon because right now I'm very much in a mind-set of completing things.



Pictures

I've been pictureless for quite a few post and hope to remedy that in the next few days with pictures from my recent acquisitions and my upcoming projects. With a little luck, I'll actually have a progress photo of a sock or the beginnings of a blanket.

Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home