My friend is not doing very well. He was taken to the hospital by ambulance yesterday morning, then admitted. He's doing much better than he was but they have not yet released him.
Since I'm sure he could use a pick-me-up, I'll be trying to finish this project a little earlier than I had first planned. His brother says he likes browns, so I'm on a yarn hunt now. Depending upon what I find, I may have to add another complementary color to the brown pallet but that decision is one that will have to wait until I have assessed the various shades available in soft, washable, reasonably priced brown yarn.
Thank you to all who have volunteered to help.
I still don't have all the details worked-out yet but I'm hoping to have clear specs by Friday. So far, I believe the decision to make 8x8 squares will stand.
I'm hoping to check with my LYS in the next few days to see if they can recommend a joining method that is sturdy and aesthetically pleasing.
When I talked to my friend today, he sounded tired but not defeated. What a trooper!