Thursday, August 12, 2004

Silk Garden, from my point of view, and DPN's

I had an appointment at the hair salon today. That means horrid waiting time so I always take along a knitting project. Rather than work on my WIP's or UFO's, I started the Silk Garden Hat. You knew I would didn't you?

Before I left, I decided I'd like to try to wind the yarn into a center-pull ball. Apparently I didn't watch the Knitting Workshop Video very closely because the center-pull wasn't operational. I discovered this long before I had rolled the entire skein, so I just unwound the ball and rewound it around the yarn remaining in the original skein. Not a pretty sight it's still functional.

The yarn made my fingers itch, not a good sign. Determined to make the hat anyway, I put the yarn away until I got to the salon.

Knitting with Silk Garden wasn't as bad as winding it into a ball. I had already removed some odd matter so areas that were extremely scratchy are now simply scratchy. The yarn definitely has thick areas and thin areas, which was a new experience for me. I am, however, thrilled with the way the colors change within the skein. This is my first experience with hand-dyed yarn but not my last.


I used the pattern from And She Knits Too because I wanted to try to finally learn double pointed needles and because the style just appealed to me more.

To tackle the dpn's I did a lot of research on the internet but finally found real help at Knitty. Theresa Vinson Stenersen and Knitty, please consider this my heart-felt, public, and formal thank you! The instructions were very clear!

I'm feeling pretty comfortable with dpn's now. That's a good feeling.


In terms of working with dpn's again, I know that I will, especially for socks, but I think I'd rather use circulars whenever possible. With dpn's, there's just so much potential for disaster.

Here's a shot of the lovely yarn I am using, in decent but not great light, before I opened the skein. My son picked out the colorway. I let him choose it for me. He's so proud!


Will my Klaralund be knit from Silk Garden? Well, I'm not sure, but I'd hate to disappoint my only child.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Your son has great taste in colours! Is it still making your hands itch? Good to hear you're mastering dpn's. but I don't blame you in the least for wanting to use circs whenever possible.

August 13, 2004 at 12:24 AM  
Blogger caramelknits said...

Double-points. Ugh. Have you tried the double circular method yet? I just learned not that long ago, and I much prefer it over dpns. I avoid them like the plague! :P I DO love the colors of the Silk Garden though. So beautiful!

August 13, 2004 at 8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home