Tuesday, February 15, 2005

New Magazines, Groups, and Lists

Yesterday I received my new IK. I flipped through it but for the life of me I can't remember what's in it. As a relatively new knitter, I'm usually excited to get a new knitting magazine. I guess that's changing.

My Knitter's magazine arrived today. Nothing jumped out at me. The only pattern that appealed to me was "Coconut Grove" which was a simple pattern repeat. I think I just like shawls, stoles and lace, which which would explain it's appeal.

Cast-On arrived a while back. I think this will be my last issue. I don't plan to renew. TKGA, which I joined last year, was not what I thought it would be. I'm not saying it's a bad organization, just that I'm looking for something different than they are offering.

I've also noticed that fewer and fewer topics from groups and lists are of interest to me. I still love knitting and I'm learning more by trying new things. I just find a lot of lists and groups are frequently filled with fluff.

I know I've contributed my share of fluff in the past. I think I was just excited to finally learn to knit after years and years of wanting to learn. When you are self-taught, with little knitting or crocheting interaction except that which comes from the internet, it's easy to become a little overzealous.

I'm also always wanting to encourage others. More and more, though, I feel cynicism growing. Because of this, I'm questioning my membership to a few groups. I'm already posting less, even in groups I like.

I think this new attitude will prove to be both good and bad for me. I'll probably withdraw my membership from a few groups. I'll spend less on books and magazines. The aforementioned activities will probably be wonderful for me. I'll probably lose out, however, on some of the excitement and camaraderie.

I guess it's a chance I'll have to take.

On the knitting front, the sock is going well. I ended up ripping it out again because I was dissatisfied and I'm currently knitting the heel. It may take longer to knit this than it would for someone else but I'm on no deadline here. I'm trying to pay close attention to the details so that when I learn another heel, toe, or technique, I can deduce a preference according to ease of wear and/or ease of knitting.


Between work, a sick child, errands, family interaction, and general household tasks, I having to try hard to make time for knitting. I am finding I feel better if I make the time for it, even if it's only a small amount of time.

My Knitting Guild is meeting soon. Usually enjoyable, this is an event I do not want to miss. The age range is higher than the other Stitching gatherings I attend but I enjoy the Guild more. Hopefully, I'll feel the same way after the next meeting.

Thank you all who have made supportive comments about my sock.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't excited about the Spring IK either, but I wasn't upset about it...that meant nothing to add to my "to-do someday" list! :)

How are you liking the Fixation? I have enough for 2 pairs of socks, but I haven't tested it out yet.
Natalie

February 16, 2005 at 10:50 AM  
Blogger sara said...

I find that my interest in mags/groups etc ebbs and flows. Sometimes I'll go months without posting or looking at mags and other times I can't get enough.

The only thing I liked in the Spring IK was the cover sweater...but if I made it, it would be for my slim, waifish daughter.

I've considered membership in TKGA and would be interested to hear more from you about it.

February 20, 2005 at 10:16 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Socks are coming along well. I too feel the same about the latest magazines I have seen. Nothing seems to stick in my mind.

February 20, 2005 at 11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home