Sunday, July 31, 2005

Two Week's Worth

Tough News
I called a friend of mine to remind him that our 20 year reunion is coming up. I hadn't spoken with him in a few weeks, so I wanted to find out if he was considering going and if he knew of anyone else who may be attending.

What he told me shook me.

He had just found out he had Hodgkin's Disease. He would be starting chemo therapy within days.

His first session was Wednesday.

He seems to be handling everything well at this point. He's in good spirits and he hasn't had horrible side effects. We're praying it continues this way but I promised him that if he lost his hair I'd make caps for him. I'm still considering making a comfort-ghan.

Please cherish your friends every chance you get.

We'd all appreciate your prayers.


Guild-Related
I did not make it to the Guild Meeting last week. I was having too much fun hanging out with my family. I hadn't seen my brother in two years. Spending this time with my family, letting the kids play together, and taking a few moments to help my parents took precedence.

To answer Kim's question, I absolutely, positively, do not have a pair of Fun-Fur Flip-Flops. I promise you that I will never, ever make them. However, my niece and my cousin want to learn to knit. Since there is a slight possibility that one of them may eventually "gift" me with a pair, I may some day own a pair. The only way I will ever own a pair is if a child gives them to me.

This week, I did make it to my knitting meeting. We had a pretty good turn-out with lots of new faces. I'm probably a new fact to them since I only attend sporadically. There was a variety of of project going on but I was particularly drawn to some Plymouth Alpaca yarn one young lady was using.


Mom's Afghan
I've tried to up the time I spend knitting on the afghan. I was just leisurely knitting it when I had the time but soon realized that at the pace I was going it would not be finished until after Thanksgiving. While there is nothing wrong with that, I'd like to work on some other things before that time and now I may also be making chemo caps and possibly another afghan.

I'm now committed to knitting a little each day. It's not a forced thing. It's more of being aware of opportunities as they arise. I'm enjoying knitting the afghan too. Because of this, each moment I get to work on it is a good one.

At the doctor's office, while awaiting the start of my tests, I managed to knit a mistake. I was amazed that it didn't upset me when I had to rip the two rows to fix it.

My mom gave the afghan another approval today. I took it to her house for her to make sure it was going to be the appropriate width since she never gave me a real number. Though I told her I would make another if she didn't like it, she assured me she is pleased.

If the afghan were as skirt, which of course it is not, it would be about knee length now. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.

Speaking of skirts, I've considered knitting one before but seen horrible comments where people say they bag and sag. Is this true of all knitted skirts or are they just a fashion faux pas?


Proper Giving
Tomorrow is my boss's birthday. He's an extremely nice man. What do you give your boss as a gift? I've never had a male boss. Actually I have-- but we all bought a gift together as a group. Maybe I need to brush up on a little etiquette.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. My husband is a cancer survivor and I can't tell you how grateful I am every single day.

August 10, 2005 at 12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home