Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Cabled Sweater

My son has a cabled sweater that I love. I purchased it when he was almost two years old. He wore it the very same winter. He even wore it for two subsequent winters. This year, the sleeves are too short. It breaks my heart.

Now, I think I want to knit one for him. I'm feeling a little like Iit could be a bad idea since the GRAND UFO of mine is in fact a sweater I started for him. In reality, however, the only reason I stopped knitting the sweater was because the pattern directions were minimal, at best, and the teacher of my Norwegian Sweater class never went over how to really do anything. (See entries from May 19, here and here, for more details.)

I'm a little more experienced as a knitter now. I am more confident in my knitting and I've found a few more resources for learning steeking and cutting. Since I'm not a fan of using a sewing machine, I may never, ever use these techniques but there is a part of me that really wants to learn. There's a part of me that really wants to go back to finish the original sweater but I'm not sure I know where all of the yarn is any more.

I've looked for a few patterns. I'm going to check out Celtic Knits and Great Knits for Kids, by Debbie Bliss to see if there's something that strikes my fancy. I'm still peeking around different online yarn shops to see if I see an appealing pattern too.

Hopefully I'll find something soon. I'm guessing, it may not be knit until the new year. I told my husband I'd make him an afghan, I want to make socks for me, and there's still a shawl calling me.

At least I'm making progress on the current blanket. I'm about a third of the way done. I'll try to get a progress shot soon as I'm taking a road trip Saturday.

I've been shopping for sock yarn too. I'm going to try to order some before the month ends so I'll be ready to start my socks in December.

In the mean time, I'm dreaming of future projects and of finishing projects from the past.

Hopefully, my son will get a hand-knit sweater before he turns six.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I say jump in and make your son a cabled sweater. Because you have more confidence, you'll persevere and get it done.

Ohhhhh, sock yarn shopping. My favourite! Looking forward to seeing what you buy.

November 4, 2005 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Great idea! I love cable sweaters! I plan to make a baby sweater with cables for my sister in the next few weeks. I don't think I've seen any that are kid size for your little one, only baby size... so I am of no help to you there! Good luck finding a pattern. I'll look around here to see if I can come up with anything else for you too. Good luck on the sock yarn buying. I rec'd mine in the mail and I want to jump in for me, but I have too many other things to make for gifts first! Argh! Enjoy the weekend!

November 5, 2005 at 7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home